Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Making Rice

So last week I mentioned cauliflower rice. Ever since I started making it we don't go a week without a batch, and just like I hoped the grater came in super handy.

Cutting out grains has had some huge high points (fat loss, more energy, better sense of taste, etc.) but the downside is I MISS THEM LIKE CRAZY. I get cravings for stuff like baguettes, anything with corn in it, and O Mother do I miss fried rice. I should say I used to because when I eat this it totally hits the spot.

Minh's mom was nice enough to make us a big batch of pork and prawns this week (so. good.) so cauliflower rice was a given.

I'm not into measurements or detailed instructions when it comes to cooking but you can look it up somewhere if you really need a step by step. I'll just hit the highlights.

So here's what I use:




!/2 head of cauliflower (so. cheap.)
1/4 onion
1 shallot
4 cloves of garlic
a little canola oil
some ground ginger
salt
pepper
sesame seeds
2 or 3 green onions
2 eggs
1/2 bag of Trader Joe's Kimchi (I know! I can't believe it either!)
red chili flakes
maybe some pineapple tidbits? yes.
and a couple snippets of bacon. This really makes it. Don't leave it out.

Chop the onion, shallot and garlic and grate the cauliflower.




Add the chopped stuff, some oil and the bacon to the biggest pan you own. Let it cook but don't burn it. you will be sad. When the onion is kinda transleucent turn up the heat and add the pineapple, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Before anything burns add the cauliflower. There's a lot of moisture to cook off, so stir it frequently. Looking good? Less moist? Add kimchee! Mmmmm...

Try a bite. Kinda wet? Keep stirring!

Getting better? Crack open 2 eggs and stir into the rice. Sesame seed time! Give it a few final tosses and then add your chopped green onion.




Here it is!

Minh likes this one a lot. We had it with grilled lamb last week.

Still. So. Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment